The holidays are in full swing, which means lots of family fun…and food! It doesn’t also have to include extra pounds. Even holiday treats can fit into a healthy lifestyle. The key is balance and moderation.
THESE TIPS ARE GIFTS YOU CAN GIVE YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY TO MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
- Stick to your regular exercise routine as much as possible.
- Cut back on TV time. Start a new family tradition of walking around the neighborhood to carol or look at holiday decorations.
- Play some backyard football or Frisbee before large holiday meals.
- Dance to your favorite holiday music.
- Make a New Year’s Resolution to start a walking group with friends.
- Overcome the urge to overeat. Standing by the buffet table is a huge temptation. Make sure to watch portion sizes and only select one or two items from the host of temping foods.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- If you’re hosting, put out bowls of fresh fruit. Fruit can be as colorful and festive as candy or chocolate.
- Instead of a leftover turkey or ham sandwich, try a leftover ham or turkey wrap or salad! Pile on mixed greens, cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, or any other vegetable you like. Top off with dried cranberries for an authentic holiday taste!